Wednesday 13 March 2013

Pink Dinner

Today I thought I would share a recipe with you. One of my favourite family dinners is Beetroot Hutspot. Hutspot is a Dutch word for a mashed together dish, and this one is  known in my house as "Pink Dinner".




I do admit that I don't usually present it this prettily, but for you blog readers I thought I would make it look pretty.  This one, by the way, is a vegetarian version but you can easily make a meat version.  Here we go, this is the recipe: (for 6 people)

  • 2 to 2.5 kg of potatoes (that sound a lot, but when it is mashes it is a lot less)
  • 3 packets of ready cooked beetroot, grated
  • a pack of Quorn bacon (chopped) or, if you are a meat eater a pack of smoked bacon rashers (fried and chopped into small pieces)
  • 4 onions finely chopped
  • Salt, pepper and oil for frying and a bit of butter or margarine to mash the potatoes
Peel and boil potatoes, grate beetroot, chop onions
Fry the bacon first if you do real bacon and leave to cool.  If you do veggie bacon just chop it and put to one side.
Chop and fry the onions adding salt and pepper to taste, add the veggie bacon and add the grated beetroot. Cook this mixture to make sure it is hot through. Then when the potatoes are soft, drain and mash. Add the bacon- onion- beetroot mixture and mix well together.
That's it. Serve with slices of fresh bread and butter. Delicious comfort food.  And of course if you serve it in a heart shape it could make a pretty and romantic dinner maybe.

Enjoy!

No comments: