Friday 2 August 2013

65 years.




My mum and dad celebrated their Sapphire anniversary this July. They have been married for 65 years.My dad is 88 and my mum is 86.  Dad struggles with his feet and finds walking hard and mum is a superstar. She had an accident last October where she was knocked of her scoot-mobile and broke her leg. Her first thought was not for herself but for my dad, she was crying that he would be so worried. They actually had to tell her to calm down. Now she is fully back on her feet, fortunately.
We felt that we wanted to celebrate their amazing achievement as a family so we made our way over to the Netherlands.


My parents received letters from the new King and Queen, the province of Limburg and the Town  Council. 

They also received a beautiful bunch of flowers:

 and a massive cake from the town council

I suppose they don't get many of these anniversaries.

We met up with my brother and his wife and daughter in Roermond and we had a gorgeous time in restaurant "De Kiosk". My dad, who doesn't like going out much thoroughly enjoyed himself. And my mum just loved having her family together.





 

 My eldest son had made them a beautiful fruitcake which he decorated with my mum's favourite flowers, pansies.


It was a huge success, we even shared it with the staff of the restaurant, who really loved it too.  (They had been very accommodating and supplied plates and forks for the cake). I hope when my husband and I have been  married this long we can have a wonderful time like this too.  Mind, we still have a long way to go ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a lovely story and many congratulations to your mum and dad. What an incredible achievement and ispiration to everyone who knows them. The pictures are lovely, thank you for sharing your special family time with us. Lots of love. The Jones family (Paul, Tammy &Co).

Whimsy Woo Miniatures said...

Lovely blog with a great theme. Congratulations to your parents - 65 years that's amazing.

I remember my grandparents on my father's side having a Diamond Wedding celebration for 60 years.

Shirley x